Tuesday 24 January 2017

Is there a Mr. Right!!

Its almost an year one of my close friends got married (socially) after a long relationship which bloomed almost two decades back. They had got married legally 5 years before their social marriage. It's an inter-state love marriage. I remember from what I was told that this journey from legal to social marriage was tumultuous, painstakingly slow and insulting for the bride groom's family wherein the bride was insulted for her looks, her education levels ( which isn't inferior to the groom by the way) and her father's affluence levels. The bride's family was also told that the groom's younger sister couldn't be married off if this inter-state alliance happens. There was a significant pressure of dowry which may have been one of the ways through which the groom's family wanted to avoid this marriage to happen in the very first place. Well, that surely didn't happen !! Unfortunately the demands of dowry were fulfilled to a certain extent if not completely.

The reason I am putting this blog post is not to lambaste our parents or our society. I don't want to question the groom or the bride here because they have lived their struggles and shouldn't be subjected to more tribulations. I am trying to figure out as an independent girl/woman when do I decide that I can't continue in a relationship. I am being disrespected for who I am by my new family. Counter argument is people change and maybe after getting married their perceptions may change. I wait for almost 15 years to come to a point where there is some kind of commitment given by the groom that there might be some future for both of them. 15 years is a long time which gives hope as well as woe. Hope because that we have come so far, stood the test of time and nothing can go wrong here. Woe because it took such a long time to take a decision and commit to a future together. Wouldn't this inaction get repeated at similar critical decision points in life? Finally, the necessity of dowry to secure the social legitimacy to my marriage which had already happened 5 years back!!

Shouldn't I walk away from such a scenario and forget this ever happened!! I totally agree its a huge investment in the relationship which I am giving up and I am at a juncture in life where I may not be able to consider any other prospects or in the Indian scenario no one will ever consider me. But living everyday with a man and a family whom I know so closely and what they think of me is a very brave decision !! Or was there ever a choice because even my parents have invested their hopes and resources in it. Our families and parents ( in most cases) are of the opinion that getting married ensures their kids are settled in life and they are happy. They can go to all lengths to ensure their kids are happy through this route, for that matter spend off their old age savings to ensure the happiness of their kids. And in our attempts to make our parents happy we sometimes choose not to fight the right battles and stop living our lives.

This single instance wouldn't have been so unsettling for me had it not been a completely another incidence where a guy fought with his parents to marry a girl ( a divorcee ) elder to him. This was also an inter-state love marriage. The fact that he was a single child might have helped him to win this battle. Was it fear of losing one's love if not acting now, more love on his part, more conviction in his love, more courage,  or was it more clarity in mind to choose the right battles for himself ? I am still not sure what made him successful. There might be an argument that both the couples got married eventually. But there is a stark difference between both the cases where someone took a decision at a good time to live their lives...

P.S I am not claiming happily ever after endings in any case. 

7 comments:

  1. Lots of things keep happening in our society that are wrong. Dowry is one, but inability to make a decision to walk away could be another, due to conditioning. Unless you have the courage and financial independence, you may be forced to compromise. Right or wrong,the person in question may have to decide. But unless someone chooses to break it, the cycle perpetrates itself as tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. exactly my point!! one has to break the cycle and we as a generation should start taking charge of our lives...this is totally what I feel but ofcourse I agree everyone has their limitations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marriages are made in heaven... To lead you into hell.. 😁😁
    ***
    Going by above mentioned cases.. I would say, if a woman falls in love with a coward and marries to...life is going to mess in itself... Even beyond that.. One has to realize love is like a flower and going to be vanished as soon you adopt a system where nobody respects you..as you are.. Again, bubble will burst another day... Respecting individuality is a must must component of relationship that may save even after tender feelings are gone....
    ***
    And lastly... Marriage...is nothing but just an acceptance that we will together try to be fit in a profoundly sick social system. . 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. the starting and the ending statements were killer punches :-) cheers to that!!I think I might end up using it somewhere with due credits!! thanks for reading my blogposts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you as well friend... One of my friend sent this link to me to read.... That's how I knocked here.... You are a good writer...put your point straight... Without fearing of making people unhappy... I said, what I have experienced... Thankfully you liked 😁😁.. And let me say.... Issue you took up is still need to be discussed further in many dimensions... Social / psychological / individual / man- woman perspective.... All aspects need to be discussed in healthy manner...
    Keep writing dost...

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the encouragement!! Yes every phenomenon can be studied from multiple dimensions.Being a researcher I need to be objective :-) though I am not married but have observed multiple couples closely. N I have taken the freedom myself to write about them but its all in good spirit that whether it is sustainable for each and every one of us...if you have time do read the other!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will do for sure...Observing with objectivity is the key...what do u think I wrote by own experiences ����... Discussing marriage should start from the point where we were living in nomadic life style... Marriage must have been created for some good reasons.. No, most of those reasons are irrelevant... So is marriage..human bonding / man-woman bonding needs different sort of adhesives now ��.. And that are yet to be found ����.. Being honest with you - yes, I do have a bit time crunch...please keep suggesting all those posts we can discuss at large... Have a blessed day ahead....

    ReplyDelete